Finding the perfect diaper bag can be challenging. I should know. It took me forever to find one that really worked for me. And the one I use isn’t even an actual diaper bag. I use a Louis Vuitton Neverfull GM as my diaper bag for Allie. I had started out using an actual diaper bag that I truly loved and was super excited about but after a few weeks of using it, it just wasn’t working out for me. The bag itself was just way too heavy and then adding in everything she needed made it even worse. So I stopped using it and switched to my Michael Kors Jet Set Tote.
I LOVE my Michael Kors so I figured I might as well try to put it to use again. I didn’t want to be one of those people who carry multiple bags. I wanted a bag that would double as my purse and my diaper bag. So using my Michael Kors bag just made sense to me. Well that didn’t work out either. Like I had mentioned in my ‘What’s In My Diaper Bag’ post, this one has a divider down the middle of the bag and it really made me limited in how much I could carry with me. So that one didn’t last long.
Related: What’s In My Diaper Bag?
Finally I ended up with the Louis Vuitton Neverfull GM and OMG is it amazing. Seriously. I’m completely in love with this bag. It literally holds EVERYTHING. There’s endless possibilities with it. So I traded in my Michael Kors for the Louis Vuitton and then purchased a Totesavvy to go inside it. If you haven’t heard of Totesavvy, it’s a tote bag insert that keeps all of your miscellaneous belongings organized. A lot of moms use the Neverfull/Totesavvy combo and now that I’ve been using it for a bit, I can see why! It’s the BEST combination out there. So let’s move onto how I organize my diaper bag using Totesavvy…
This first side consists of three compartments: two compartments for bottles (one insulated) and another larger compartment.
- COMPARTMENT A: This pocket is insulated so it’s perfect for keeping sippy cups chilled or bottles warmed up. I currently just use it as a normal pocket and keep her empty bottle here.
- COMPARTMENT B: This is another bottle pocket so I keep a bottle of water here to mix with her formula while we’re on the go.
- COMPARTMENT C: This is the largest of the inside pockets. A lot of people use this pocket for diapers and wipes, but I use it for her change of clothes. She has two extra onesies in there, a pair of pants, a sunhat, socks, and her sunglasses. Sometimes I’ll throw a sweater in there as well if we’re going to a restaurant or somewhere that could be a bit more chilly. But most times she’s just fine with a light blanket over her legs in those situations.
The second side of Totesavvy includes four different compartments. Two larger compartments (about the same size as compartment C on the first side) and then two smaller ones, one on top of one another.
- COMPARTMENT D: This is where I keep her pacifier as well as extra bags for dirty diapers. Keeping them here makes it super easy to access them in emergency situations. There have been plenty of times where I’ll be driving with Allie by myself and she drops her pacifier in a place that I just cannot reach from the driver’s seat. So having a backup pacifier right there at the top of my bag makes it super easy to grab it and pop it in her mouth at the next red light. Lifesaver!
- COMPARTMENT E: In this compartment, I keep a pack of pacifier wipes. We literally have three different packs of wipes in this bag. I’m not sure if that’s excessive or what. But I really do use them all. These are great for when she happens to drop her pacifier out in public. At home, we’re super flexible and just wipe it off or rinse it off, but public places are a whole other story! So these are lifesavers.
- COMPARTMENT F: This compartment holds a bib and two extra burp cloths. There’s tons of extra space in here for other miscellaneous items when needed as well!
- COMPARTMENT G: I keep her swaddle here. It’s just a basic, thin muslin swaddle that I can roll up and have with us whenever we need it. I don’t use it for swaddling purposes. I use it more as a super light blanket to keep over her legs when we’re outdoors or to throw over her stroller/carrier when needed to keep the sun off her. But this blanket fits perfectly here!
There are three compartments on the outside of Totesavvy as well as a large, flat compartment on the opposite side for things like coloring books or documents or anything else that’s flat. On the opposite side, you have the largest compartment on Totesavvy along with two smaller ones like you have on the inside.
- COMPARTMENT H: This is where everyone typically keeps their cell phone, but with a Lifeproof case on, my iPhone 6 doesn’t fit there. Not a huge deal though. Instead, I keep some EOS hand lotion here.
- COMPARTMENT I: I keep hand and face wipes here. Allie can be a super messy eater sometimes and burp cloths don’t always get it all. So these allow me to get her fully cleaned up when we’re out of the house.
- COMPARTMENT J: Lastly, largest compartment in Totesavvy holds all her meds and toiletries. This includes Burt’s Bees Diaper Rash Ointment, The Honest Company Honest Mineral Sunscreen, a thermometer, a first aid kit, cue tips, Tylenol, and nail clippers.
So there you have it! That’s how I organize everything in my diaper bag, using Totesavvy. Totesavvy is a huge lifesaver in keeping everything organized and in its correct place. It can be a great addition to any handbag!
Do you use Totesavvy? How do you keep your diaper bag organized and functional?