*This post contains affiliate links.
Lately I’ve been super big on finding new ways to get clear skin. This is something I should have started focusing on years ago, but I just never thought it was that big of a deal. I’m only 24. Why do I need to worry about my skin already? My skin wasn’t horrible to begin with so it wasn’t bothering me or anything like that either. But recently I’ve found myself spending a lot of time looking into new skin care products and finding ways to keep it looking its best. I do not want to be one of those women whose skin ages faster than she does. No thank you! So I’ve made a few rather simple changes these past few months and they’ve made such a huge difference to the way my skin looks and feels. As of right now, my skin is completely 100% clear of all breakouts. So here’s what I’ve done to get clear skin fast!
- I stopped drinking soda. I’ve mentioned this in a couple of past posts as well and I still completely stand by it. I stopped drinking soda back in March and it’s made a world of a difference, especially when it comes to my skin. I honestly had no idea that drinking soda affected your skin as much as it does. I’m not sure if that makes me sound naive or something, but really. I didn’t know. Instead, I now drink a TON of water every day and have seen huge improvements this year. Of course it wasn’t the only thing contributing to my acne though so it didn’t 100% clear it up. But the difference was definitely noticeable.
- I started removing my makeup at night. I have been horrible about this over the years. Like SO bad. I just don’t like my face without makeup on. Period. Even when I’m sleeping. I always wake up looking completely dead and I honestly believed it would prevent my husband from wanting to kiss me in the mornings (it doesn’t by any means, but that’s what I told myself). But this past month, I finally got myself into the habit of removing my makeup every single night and wow. I honestly didn’t think it would make that much of a difference so quickly. My skin just felt and looked so much better. And now, I’m not as grossed out about my bare face in the mornings. If you’re looking for some awesome products for removing makeup and rubbing your face, I highly suggest Neutrogena Hydrating Makeup Remover Towelettes* as well as the Neutrogena Rapid Clear Foaming Scrub* and Acne Defense Face Lotion*. I use all three of these on a daily basis and couldn’t recommend them more!
- I started disinfecting my makeup brushes more often. I don’t know about you, but I’m horrible at remembering to clean my makeup brushes. I’m not sure what it is about it, but it can just be so time-consuming sometimes. So I put it off way too long which is such a bad thing to do. Makeup brushes hold so much bacteria in them, which can cause breakouts. Now, I deep clean them at the end of every week and disinfect them on a daily basis. Not only has it been better for my skin, it’s actually made it easier to apply makeup as well. It keeps my brushes looking and feeling new.
- I started washing my hands before applying makeup. This sounds so simple, but I guarantee many of you don’t think to wash your hands an extra time before applying moisturizer or foundation or anything else that you apply to your face. I didn’t even think about it until one of my favorite YouTubers mentioned it in one of her videos. My morning routine would go something like this: I wake up, I go to the bathroom, I wash my hands, I put in my contacts, I do xyz, and then I start my makeup routine. It’s when you’re doing xyz that you’re probably touching a million things throughout your home that consists of some sort of bacteria. And that bacteria can easily cause breakouts. So now, I make sure to wash my hands again directly before I apply my moisturizer and primer and it helps SO much.
- I switched foundations. I never thought about my foundations possibly causing acne. I know that sounds a bit naive, but it honestly just never crossed my mind. When I posted about my top three drugstore foundations (which I still love!), I had a couple of people tell me that one of the products on my list made them breakout. This immediately made me curious as to whether or not it could be causing some of my acne as well. So I decided to switch foundations for the month and saw a pretty noticeable difference within a few days. So if you’re having issues with acne, it could be time to look into some different products!
- I created a fool-proof workout routine. It’s crazy to me just how many benefits working out has. Not only does it make you stronger, it improves your organ function, helps you sleep better, improves your mental health, and even helps keep your skin clear. Crazy, right? With all those benefits, it would be crazy not to add a work out to your weekly schedule. Even if it’s just a walk every couple of days. Exercise is exercise. All that matters is that you’re up and moving! And don’t forget to keep hydrated!
- I started wearing SPF. Summertime isn’t the only time of year when you should be wearing sunscreen. The sun is just as harmful in the winter months as well. So I always make sure I’m wearing a product on my face that contains SPF in it whether it’s a moisturizer, my foundation, etc. It doesn’t have to be an actual sun screen. Many makeup products contain some sort of SPF nowadays so it’s super easy to find a good product at the store to add to your routine.
What do you do to keep your skin looking its best?