Today, Allie is officially 7 months old! Ugh, you guys. I don’t even know where the time is going.This past month has been so insanely busy around here and it’s only going to get busier as we enter the new year. This little girl has grown so much this past month. It’s seriously like having a whole new child right now. That’s how much she’s growing and changing from month to month. I haven’t given you guys a good update since she was 4 or 5 months old so this update is going to be a big one.
At birth she was 7 pounds, 11 ounces and at her 6 month appointment she was 18 pounds, 5 ounces. Our home scale says she’s now just over 19 pounds.
At birth she was 21 inches long and at her 6 month appointment, she was at 28 inches. So she’s getting tall! We actually just transitioned her to her new big girl car seat this past month as well because she was reaching the heigh requirements of her infant seat.
She’s still in size 3 diapers and as for clothing, she’s all over the place. The moment she hit 3 months, sizes didn’t even matter anymore. Her Christmas pjs were/are 12 months and they fit almost perfectly. Sooooo. She’s a big little girl. On average, a lot of her clothing is around 9 months or so.
She’s still eating about 3-5 ounces of formula every 2ish hours during the daytime. So no change there! She’s still averaging around 30 ounces a day. She’s also now eating solids although she honestly doesn’t have too much of an interest in it. We were given the okay to start her on solids at 4 months. We tried a couple things, but it was quite clear that she wasn’t ready. Plus she wasn’t interested so I didn’t make it a big deal. At 6 months they expressed how “important” it is that we get her into eating solids so we’ve been trying it a bit more but she’s still just not the biggest fan of it. We’re continuously trying new things, but for now I’m really not concerned about it. Formula or breast milk is much more important for her at this age so I’m going with the flow and waiting for her to be ready.
If you have any tips in this area, I’d love to hear them! I’m not a huge fan of purees and she’s not a fan of spoons either. So we’re trying baby led weaning. She likes holding things like chunks of banana and she even likes the squeezable pouches as well (those are actually her favorite out of everything we’ve tried so far). But other than that, we’re at a standstill. So tips would be helpful!
Sleep is a little rocky at the moment. She goes to bed at 8pm and wakes up around 5am. Then she comes to bed with me after Zack leaves for work and cuddles with me until 7am. But she’s been super clingy to me lately and is very restless at night. I think it’s partly teething and partly the fact that she’s more mobile now. Putting her down for naps and bedtime is such a process sometimes. Even as I type this, she’s whining over the monitor. I can see her sitting up in her crib about ready to throw her pacifier overboard. So that’s lovely. According to my Fitbit, I go up and down the stairs about 15-20 times a day trying to put her down. Not even kidding. At least I get in my steps every day!
On on a more positive note, she now has a set nap time routine and schedule. We started it once she hit 4.5 months or so because her daily routine was all over the place. Once she started sleeping through the night at 5 weeks old, her naps went out the door. And by 4.5 months, it was greatly affecting our day and her mood. So I decided it was time to get her on a set schedule. We wake up at 7am, she naps at 10am and 3pm and then she goes to sleep at 8pm. This schedule works AWESOME. She has 2.5 to 3 hour awake times (although it’s starting to stretch longer so we may be making slight adjustments here) and then she naps for about 1.5 to 2 hours. A couple times a week she’ll have a nap that lasts 2.5 to 3 hours as well. So this has been a lifesaver in our home!
Our last update in this area is that she’s now officially sleeping in her own room!! Once she hit 6 months, she started to get more restless at night and it was keeping me up…a lot. And I already suck at sleeping without the addition of a baby. So I thought it was time to move her from the pack n play in our room to her crib in her bedroom. And it was. We moved her and overall she’s done really well! The only “issue” I have here is that she’s been waking up 2ish times a night because her pacifier falls out and she moves so much in her sleep that it wakes her up. And now that she’s in her own room, I have to walk all the way to her bedroom to give her paci back to her. She goes right back to sleep with zero issues, but it’s still annoying. BUT on the bright side, I’m not waking up every time she moves anymore which is nice and last night she slept through the night 100% again for the first time in a month. ZERO restless moments and ZERO whining if her pacifier fell out. So I was super happy this morning, but also slightly concerned because she legit didn’t move an inch in her sleep all night. I laid in bed staring at the monitor for 10 minutes looking for her chest to rise and fall with her breath to make sure she was okay (she is, obviously!).
So overall we’re still pretty happy in the sleep department. I can’t complain too much. There’s bound to be moments here and there where our awesome sleeper isn’t so awesome. But we’re making sure to make adjustments as we go and are keeping her routines as consistent as possible so that she’s able to bounce back. So far, so good!
I know I say it every month but her personality is just amazing. This child is seriously happy a good 90% of the time. If she’s crying then it’s either her teeth or she’s overtired. Other than that, she doesn’t cry (aside from the super cute photo below because I sat her back up for a photo haha she’s slowly starting to understand the word ‘no’ too and she’s not a fan of it!). She wakes up every morning with a smile on her face and she’s always happy to see us when we walk into a room. She’s seriously just the sweetest child and it makes me so excited to see what type of person she becomes in the future.
So. Many. Milestones. Seriously. This past month has been huge in the milestone department. This is such an awesome age. I’m loving it!
- She’s crawling!!! Okay so this is brand new as of yesterday. I actually typed up this post over the weekend and then had to come back in this morning to make a few updates. This being one of them. After 5-6 weeks of just watching her rock herself back and forth on all fours, she is FINALLY moving herself forward as of yesterday afternoon. It’s so exciting and I literally teared up when she did it for the first time. She’s been going backwards and in circles for a while now but could never get herself forward so this is exciting. She’s not doing it a ton yet, but when there’s something further away from her that she wants, she’ll go for it. Yesterday, her motivation was Jack. Poor dog couldn’t get away from her. She just kept crawling over to him and pulling his hair and taking his toy. He’s doing so well with her and he’s so patient too.
- She can get into a seated position from laying down. This is a newer milestone. She started doing this last week and while it was super and exciting cute the first couple times, it’s now SO annoying. I’ll put her down for a nap and two seconds later, she’s sitting up and looking around the room. So that’s fun.
- She can stand with assistance. This girl LOVES to stand now. We stand her up all the time and she gets so excited every single time. And she’s super strong too.
- She’s starting to pull up on things. This is also a newer milestone. I think we’re going to have to lower her crib very soon. I don’t need her pulling up in her crib when I’m not watching and falling over the edge or something. So this is our next worry. But it’s so exciting watching her explore her surroundings and trying to do new things.
- She has teeth!!!! Her two bottom teeth came in at 5.5 months and they’re SO cute. They literally just popped through overnight. I had no clue until she was nibbling on my finger one day and I felt something sharp in her mouth. I looked at her gums and voila! The first tooth was poking through. Then the second one came in a couple days later. They’re adorable and thankfully, she hasn’t been super moody because of them. We just cycle through her teethers all day and she’s happy as can be.
This past month has been so much fun with her. We celebrated her first Thanksgiving just over a month ago. She also went to Sea World for the first time, celebrated her first Christmas, picked out her first Christmas tree, went Christmas light sight-seeing. It’s been a busy month for her and we’ve loved every single moment of it. I think for me, my favorite moment has truly been watching her grow and change. I’m so thankful to be home with her every day because it would literally devastate me if I missed all these amazing moments. I cried when she started crawling. Seriously. She’s just changing so much every single day. She’s always learning something new and she’s always so proud of herself whenever she does something new. This is easily my favorite part of being a parent so far is watching her grow and explore the world around her.
I think the only “bad” moment is her sleep. She’s super restless these days the more mobile she gets and I know her teeth have been bothering her as well. So we’ve had a few rough days here and there where it’s just nonstop temper tantrums. Those days are really hard on me given that Zack is never home for them. She had one day last week that I think completely tops the bad days. We ran errands in the morning. Everything was great and she was happy as could be. Then we arrived home and I planned to change her diaper, feed her and put her down for a nap. Weeeeell she wasn’t having the nap. This turned into a never-ending temper tantrum for almost 3 hours. By the time she fell asleep, she had been awake almost 6 hours…she normally goes down for naps after 3 hours…Then she wakes up from a 2 hour nap and within 30 minutes, she’s back to crying. Almost nonstop until she went BACK down to sleep at 6 o’clock. It was literally nonstop and by the time Zack came home, I had just about lost my mind. I was more than ready to go to bed that night.
BUT regardless of this one bad day and her other miscellaneous bad days here and there, we really can’t complain. Those days are just so rare in our home.